Monday, August 2, 2010

Days to go: 978 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 22: Was inspired today by the story of Marie-Eve Chainey, who is a champion high-jump competitor from my hometown, Kapuskasing. She has been battling kidney disease for nine years.

Three years ago she was unable to walk and lacked the strength to wash her hair, and now she is back in competition. She undergoes nocturnal hemodialysis six nights a week for eight or nine hours while she sleeps.

"Nine long years, 800 blood transfusions and a stunning comeback to elite sport," reads the headline on the front page of the Toronto Star. Makes me embarrassed to be whining about my little kidney stent...

Back to practicing tomorrow -- more like air practicing, since I am at my nephew Jim's without a keyboard most of this week. I wonder if I should just buy a little keyboard and keep it in the car. "Have keyboard, will travel!"

No comments:

Post a Comment