Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Days to go: 955 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 45: A short practice session at the church today. I finished yesterday's variation (the triplet sixteenth-note one) and played once through all the variations I knew and also the Fugue.

I have changed the practice registration from 8' flute to 8' gambe. It is easier to hear if parts are out of alignment or if runs are even. Tomorrow I will practice without the 16' in the pedal and couple the 8' gambe to the pedal. This should clear things up even more.

Playing on a full registration reveals problem areas very quickly -- it is just too much fun to stop and fix them! I've marked them, though, and will re-learn them, making them stronger than ever.

Today some parts of both variations and fugue flowed beautifully and I was surprised to be feeling quite happy as I played. I wonder if this is anything like C.S.Lewis's feeling of being "surprised by joy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment