Thursday, August 26, 2010

Days to go: 954 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 46: Completed another variation today and found that the 8' gambe is very easy on the ears. No 16' pedal. One of the wedding coordinators brought in her 3-year-old grandaughter so I helped her play "Twinkle, Twinkle" on full organ. I am sure they appreciated it in the office...

Paul wanted to vacuum the church today, so it was an interesting lesson in the art of concentration for me. I remember when it was Reg's job to vacuum the church. He would start it up just about every time I would come in to practice, and sing along.

It happened all the time, as if the organ ignition were connected to the "on" switch of the vacuum cleaner. I finally figured out that he just really enjoyed the music and wanted to be there in the church while it was going on.

It is a pleasure to start a variation -- a slow, halting first reading transforms, through the practicing process, into a graceful, fluent musical statement. Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment