Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Days to go: 998 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 2: Today was "silent practice day" at St. Pat's. I didn't realize there would be so many holy people coming into the church to pray. That's great, of course, but pretty soon I stopped waiting for them to leave and simply practiced on silent keys and pedals. I got a lot accomplished on the Bach and the Durufle and I could "hear" it most of the time, anyway.

I must say, I enjoyed having those people come in. Some stopped by to chat, since the organ console is right by the entrance. And I found it comforting to see others faithfully at prayer. I hope they said one for me (but not like that hilarious country song, "I'll Pray For You," in which the angry singer prays for "a flowerpot to fall from the window sill and hit you on the head like I'd like to..."!)

At our course today (Guidance Pt. 1 AQ through OISE) we visited the Carpenters' Union Local 27 Training Centre in Woodbridge. Joe Ranieri, a proud Red Seal Carpenter, had this to say about his craft: "IN, on or ahead of schedule. Work productively with no wasted effort. Work with an eye for perfection. Work meticulously. Be tough and competitive. Aim to take pride in your work. Don't pander to the leniency factor. Be the top of the top."

Skilled trades, yes, indeedy. Surprise! My AQ course is showing me that I just love to acquire new skills. If I can combine Joe's work ethic with increased organ playing skill (but avoid becoming entrapped in my own all-too-familiar version of the leniency factor), perhaps... .

Right on, Joe -- you can build my deck anytime, and I'll play a trio sonata for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment