Saturday, July 17, 2010

Days to go: 994 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 6: Today was silent fugue day again! A lady came over to the organ as she was leaving the church and we had a brief talk about her recent trip to Great Britain, where she and her husband had visited many cathedrals and listened to many Sung Evensongs. (I wanted to tell her all about my studies at the Royal School of Church Music in Croydon, but this didn't seem to be the time). She had a lot to say, and I was delighted -- especially when she said to me, "Well, whenever you see ME in here, please keep playing and don't turn the sound off. We all need a little Bach in our lives." :-)

I showed the priest the little organ log book that Ron Blackmore asked me to put in the drawer on the right-hand side of the console to help the organ service person. I am pretty sure this organ service person is the Leslie Smith who was at UWO during my 4th year. It would be good to catch up with him, and also ask him the million or so questions I have about the Letourneau.

Dear Reg, the custodian, came in to chat, noticed the dust on the console, and went off to get his swiffer. He dusted the entire console right then and there. We talked about the best way to clean the dirt off the keys and get the fingerprint smears off the music rack. No Windex allowed! I'll ask Leslie when he comes to service the organ.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I will not practice. But I will post a lovely poem by a mystic!

No comments:

Post a Comment