Monday, July 12, 2010

Days to go: 999 -- Pieces to go:10

Day 1: It has begun! I went to the church, sat at the Letourneau for the first time (a perfect fit!) , and played slowly through the Passacaglia and Fugue. It makes so much sense to start with Bach! "Ahh, Bach!" as Radar says on M*A*S*H* reruns.

My score is my 41-year-old Peters edition with fingerings originally taken from John S. McIntosh's copy. He played the Bach during a September 1969 recital at First. St. Andrew's United Church in London, Ontario. It was my first year at Western, and I fell in love... .

Half way through the fugue, a parishioner came in. What to do? Even though I was using 8' flutes, they have a lot of presence and some people might find the sound disturbing while they are trying to pray. So I stopped until the man left. Sigh!

I started again and another man came in. At this point I decided to go outside for a break. But this man came in BECAUSE of the organ playing and wanted to listen. Sigh!!

I began reading the Durufle and it sounded so lovely on that organ. I made a list of supplies needed: more pencils, metronome, timer, counters (I STILL believe in your 16 reps, Marcel Dupre!), a towel (for sitting on) and another list of music to order.

Can't remember the last time I was this happy!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, Trude! I look forward to hearing the end result. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete