Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Days to go: 892 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 108: I returned to St. Leo's after lunch today to find a very welcome surprise in the church office. It was a fax -- the complete Bach Toccata and fugue in d minor. Yes, THAT one. Very clean copy. Someone went through a great deal of trouble to fax the whole piece -- many pages, reduced in size, I think, to fit standard paper. The cover page was signed, "From an old friend."

And why? Because I had complained, on this blog yesterday, of termites eating my copy of the T & F. I didn't recognise the email address, although, come to think of it, I guess I could send a message of thanks back that way. Hmmm.

So anyway, I had a great time playing the Toccata over and over on our beautifully "rebuilt" organ -- Bryant did a wonderful job! The sound echoes around and around St. Leo's as if in a great cathedral. I am now able to play the Toccata up to tempo, but only part of the fugue so far. Hey, I'm NOT Brennan Szafron!

Thank you, mysterious old friend, for your thoughtful, generous gift. Peace and joy to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment