Saturday, September 4, 2010

Days to go: 945 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 55: Spent most of this evening at St. Leo's preparing for tomorrow, my first Sunday "on the job," as it were. My pastor, Fr. Charles, wanted to practice singing the Eucharistic Prayer with the organ. What a gift, at this stage, to come across this marvellous person, a priest who loves music!

There was a pleasant surprise waiting for me on email when I got home a few minutes ago. Anthony wrote! He writes so well. Always encouraging, he wrote, "Hope you get a chance to just play in the world of G-d's sonorities." Lovely. I wonder if he enjoys poetry, too?

Anyway, I will get the chance "to just play the world of G-d's sonorites" tomorrow as Fr. Charles prays during Mass. He wants a bit of musical backup as he speaks. What better time and place to begin my public improvising -- surrounded by grace.

Actually, I'll be playing a little trumpet descant (without a net!) for one of the hymns tomorrow. It worked well in rehearsal...

Tomorrow: a poem for teachers by a master teacher -- and a very sweet man.

No comments:

Post a Comment