Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Days to go: 942 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 58: I just came from St. Pat's, where I caught up on all the variations which I had learned on the piano. I added the pedal to each of them, and then began to learn Variation IV. After 16 reps of the Left Hand, I was done in, and came home. Nap time!

Sunday's work at St. Leo's went well -- perhaps not as gracefully as I might like, but good for a first time. I think this coming Sunday I will play with my eyes closed while improvising, considering I experienced a few seconds of "centipede trouble" during the Eucharistic Prayer improvisation last Sunday. (The trumpet descant went well, though, and I have already thought of some ways to make it better.)

"Centipede trouble." Here is the whole quotation. "I'm afraid of coaching, of writers' magazines, of books on how to write. They give me centipede trouble -- you know the yarn about the centipede who was asked how he managed all his feet? He tried to answer, stopped to think about it, and was never able to walk another step." (Robert Heinlein to his editor Lurton Blassingame, quoted in Grumbles.)

No comments:

Post a Comment