Thursday, September 9, 2010

Days to go: 940 -- Pieces to go: 10

Day 60: Today after treatment I went right out to St. Leo's to practice. I played the Fugue through slightly under tempo and was happy to find no technical difficulties whatsoever. Gotta love that Dupre system of learning music, at present helping me to assimilate Variation IV.

The organ at St. Leo's was a gift from Holy Family Church in Whitby. It is a pre-digital Allen instrument with two manuals and full pedal board. It has been well-cared for: all of the keys, stops and pistons work and there is a transposer, which I have decided to set a tone lower for Sunday liturgies permanently.

Some of the upperwork is a bit intense for my taste and some of the stops have a vibration which I think is more due to the speakers rather than anything in the console, but I could be wrong about this. What do you think, Gordon? (I may be in touch with you later when I know the organ better.)

I spent the evening having tea with Rosemary, sometime visitor at St. Leo's and organist emeritus of St. Patrick's. We toasted the good old days, and sent good thoughts out to all church musicians, past, present and future, on this holy night -- that is to say, "Choir Night in Canada!"

(Cue OLD "Hockey Night in Canada" theme: dut-Dut-dut-Dah-Dah-DAAAAHHH!)

No comments:

Post a Comment