Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Days to go: 880 -- Pieces: 9.75

Day 120: Well, finally! Down to "Pieces to go: 9.75"! On Sunday I played part of the Passacaglia as a recessional. It was a lovely service all around, because...

My new choir sang its first choir piece (separate from the congregation), a trumpet player sounded Last Post and Reveille, the Assembly fairly shouted "O Canada" and the "somber music" that Fr. Charles wanted as an organ recessional ended up being the first few variations of the Bach Passacaglia.

At breakfast at the Fish and Chip place after Mass, a choir member reported that the choir had received a compliment! One of the other diners said that "the choir sounded good today." I was really glad. We all can go very far on a little bit of encouragement.

I guess I should mention that I stacked the deck when it came to the hymns. "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art" always are sung out well. I wonder how we'll do with this Sunday's "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name"...

Oh, I almost forgot. The Passacaglia was perfect. More comfortable under my fingers than anything else I played all morning. Hooray for Dupre and his reps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment